Enjoy camping on a spit that shelters a tidal lagoon. At night you may hear the trains running north and south on the mainland. Sunsets here are often remarkable. Don’t look west but watch the madrona as they redden as the sun drops to the horizon. Reserved camping for WWTA members & guests.
Approach: Gravel; exposed to the SW
Location: Anderson Island is about 10 miles southwest of Tacoma. The campsite is situated on a gravel spit on the southwest side of the island, in Carlson Bay.
Hazards: Getting to the mainland and toilets at high tide may be a challenge through thigh-high water. Best to check the floating bridge and uphill trail on a low tide in daylight.
Sanitation: Pit toilet located 200′ up, off the hiking trail to the South; another at the top end of the trail – about 3/4 mile hike from the beach.
Fires: Fires are allowed only on the spit, when a burn ban is not in effect.
Site Reservation: WWTA members only may reserve by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-545-9161. Please make reservation two weeks prior to the date of reservation. We have an online calendar here: https://www.wwta.org/home/anderson-calendar/ .
Fees: Free with WWTA membership; by reservation only.
Special Considerations: Camping by reservation only. WWTA members must reserve site two weeks prior if possible, but at least 3 business days in advance with WWTA. Others may contact the Anderson Island P&RD, 3 weeks in advance. Reservations subject to cancellation by the Park District.
Natural History: The Christensens, the island’s first settlers, were descendants of a German baron whose daughter eloped with a Danish footman. They settled on Amsterdam Bay in the 1870’s. In 1882, Falk and Clara Carlson moved to Anderson from Kansas with their 6 children and became one of the island’s first families. Carlson Bay is said to be named after this family.
Max People: 8
Max Nights: 1
Reservations: Yes, WWTA members only.