Griffin Bay

Griffin Bay was the site of Old San Juan Town, a shanty town that grew up on the boundary of American Camp. The saloon was the primary attraction in town. When the county of San Juan was established, the county seat was placed in Friday Harbor. Now Griffin Bay is much quieter, remote from land traffic.

Note: Griffin Bay is currently closed to camping. Click-here to get the latest status.

This video may give you an idea of the site; it is only approached from the water as it is surrounded by private land.

Site Stewards: Susan Ridgley and Jeff Jones

Approach: Gravel and pebbles at high tide, rocks at low tide.
Location: On San Juan Island, 0.4 mile S of Low Point, across from Halftide Rock. Look for sign on the shore. 4 sites. Managed by DNR and are non-exclusive.
Hazards: Currents to 4 knots and heavy rip tides in nearby Cattle Pass.
Sites: 4
Water: None
Sanitation: Vault toilets
Overflow: None
Fires: Check local regulations.
Extras: Picnic tables
Fees: $12/night for up to 8 in site
Special Considerations: This site is bordered by private property. Good fishing near Fish Creek.
Natural History: British troops stationed their ships here in 1859 in the "Pig War" on San Juan Island. When American farmer shot a British-owned pig, on June 15, 1859, the U.S. Army and British Royal Navy were at gunpoint. Officials on both sides quickly restored calm and the nations agreed to joint occupation of the island until the boundary dispute was resolved.
Max People:
Max Nights:
Reservations: No
Latitude: 48.4761
Longitude: -123.0101
Print